Only Safe Option to Steam
Room humidifiers and direct humidification products are not regulated by the FDA or EPA. The EPA has established test procedures and standards for other products that kill germs.
The highest level of germ-free performance is achieved when a product makes things "sterile." These are generally autoclaves and harsh chemical systems used in hospitals and industry to kill 100% of germs present.
The next highest level of germ control is "disinfection." A product that "disinfects" has been proven to kill 99.9999% of the germs it is used against. This is a level of germ control where it is highly unlikely that a user exposed to the disinfected product or surface will become sick from the germs. Germs are generally found in nature at higher concentrations than they are on products or surfaces that have been "disinfected."
The next highest level of germ-control is "sanitization." Products that "sanitize" kill 99.99% of germs that the product is used against. This is a lesser level of germ-control than "disinfection," by a factor of 100.
Products that neither disinfect nor sanitize by definition transmit germs at levels that may be very dangerous.
MyPurMist kills 99.9999% of fungi (mold) and bacteria that may be present in the water reservoir from improper use or storage. Other warm mist room humidifiers achieve this level of germ control, but these produce mist that is very hot and can scald; and room humidifiers are not effective for relief from the symptoms of colds and flu or allergies.
Cool-mist room humidifiers with ultraviolet bulbs sanitize the mist, but only the most expensive work well. The bulbs need to be changed regularly and are expensive. Like all room humidifiers, cool-mist units with ultraviolet bulbs are ineffective for symptom relief of colds and flu because they do not direct warm vapor to the nose and mouth.
Cool-mist humidifiers without ultraviolet bulbs do not control pathogenic organisms; even the ones with "silver ion" sticks or beads. Silver helps to control non-pathogenic organisms like algae but does nothing to kill the mold and harmful bacteria that can get into the water reservoir of your humidifier and multiply.
Unfortunately, because the FDA and EPA do not regulate room humidifiers, manufacturers have been making some outrageous claims about germs. Some of these products claim that they kill 99.9% of germs, but this is not enough control to assure that you and your child will not become sick. Cleaning products like Clorox bleach and Lysol control germs to the 99.9999% level; that is why they are allowed to claim that they are "disinfectants." Humidifiers that cannot prove that they control to this level should be avoided.
MyPurMist has been tested in independent laboratories to control the following common microorganisms to 99.9999% elimination. These organisms comprise standard protocols for this type of evaluation:
Mold - C. cladosporioides
Bacteria - P. aeruginosa
Bacteria - S. choleraesuis
Bacteria - Staph aureus
Bacteria - Moraxella catarrhalis
Bacteria - Haemophilus Influenza
Bacteria - Streptococcus pneumonia
Warm mist room humidifiers were invented in the 1950s to add humidity to rooms. This does not provide any benefits for those with allergies or congestion because water vapor added to a room is not direct enough to relieve symptoms. The water vapor must be directed to the nose and mouth to achieve relief of symptoms.
Every year a significant number of children are scalded when they come in contact with warm mist humidifiers, a few deaths have even occurred. Some are burned by the mist as little fingers touch the water vapor exit port while others are scalded when the humidifiers are pulled over and the hot contents of the water reservoirs spill. Because of these issues, cool mist room humidifiers were invented. These do not have a scalding potential but they are very efficient germ vectors if not cleaned daily and are responsible for a condition called “humidifier fever” which is caused by the unhealthy white dust minerals that these units eject into a room.
MyPurMist uses heat to kill germs but thanks to its hospital CFV Technology the amount of heat and amount of hot water is never enough to pose a scalding risk. It is burn safe and appropriate for children and adults. And it works because the humidification is direct.